Snorkeling on the Big Island of Hawaii as a part of treatment program
Rehabs Finder features top-of-the-line treatment centers around the world. The wide range of options provides you with many opportunities to get away from any negative influences at home and start the next chapter of your life in a new environment. Travel is a great way to gain perspective, meet like-minded people, and find inspiration for the journey to recovery. It’s also a chance to have fun and explore a new place!
One of our top treatment centers, Hawaii Island Recovery, is located on the Big Island of Hawaii. Many residents who are there take some time during their stay to try snorkeling for the first time. Read on to learn where to snorkel on the Big Island of Hawaii, and how you can make this experience part of your treatment program. Then, be sure to check out their listing on Rehabs Finder to learn more about this premier substance abuse rehab facility.
Where to Snorkel on the Big Island of Hawaii
Hawaii Island Recovery is located in Kailua-Kona, Hawaii—a fantastic spot for exploring the coast with flippers and a snorkel. Love Big Island lists 14 snorkeling spots on the Kona coast that attract both tourists and locals. Here are a few favorites:
Pau’oa Bay at the Fairmont Orchid Hotel
- Perfect for beginners, this bay features a sand bottom, allowing you to wade in slowly as you warm up to the idea of joining the beautiful fish among the reefs. Large lava rocks surround and protect the beach, making the water calm and easy to navigate.
Koai’e Cove at Lapakahi State Historical Park
- As part of the Marine Life Conservation District, this cove is teeming with beautiful fish darting in and out of majestic coral. While fish and coral can be spotted throughout the cove, the southern portion provides the best views. After you finish exploring the reef, check out the partially reconstructed ruins of Koai’e, an ancient fishing village from the 1300s. There’s plenty to see and do at this state park!
Kahalu’u Beach Park
- A favorite spot for local surfers, this beach is a great place to try both snorkeling and surfing if you’re feeling especially adventurous. Plus, this location is famous for sea turtles, and you just may spot them soaking up the sun on the rocks.
- Even if swimming with schools of tropical fish doesn’t quite excite you, this is a spot you won’t want to miss. As an underwater marine sanctuary, Kealakekua Bay is home to dolphins and sea turtles as well! The best snorkeling is around the Captain Cook monument, which you can reach by hiking, kayaking, or joining a tour.
Anaeho’omalu (“A”) Bay
- If you find yourself looking to snorkel in the late afternoon, make this bay your destination. After swimming around for an hour or so, you can relax on the beach for a breathtaking view of the sunset.
Makaiwa Bay at Mauna Lani Resort
- This bay is a great place to see a lot of ocean life in a little bit of time. With easy access and a shallow reef, you’ll likely spot fish, octopuses, eels, and much more.
Snorkeling Excursions as Part of Your Treatment Program
Hawaii Island Recovery offers a well-rounded approach to substance abuse rehab. Treatment plans include medically supervised detox, evidence-based therapies, experiential therapies, holistic health services, and excursions.
Opportunities abound to snorkel, hike, watch the sunset on the beach, and even swim with wild dolphins. For many residents, these excursions provide more than a chance to relax and unwind. They are an opportunity to see the world—and themselves—in an entirely new light.
For example, one client’s testimonial reads, “After a few days of detox, I had come to the realisation that I can do this. The staff pushes you to do things; they have done this before. Two days after my arrival, I biked to the active volcano and I thought I was going to die! Lo and behold, I survived. The next weekend, I hiked Pololu Valley. Hiking was something I have never done or ever thought I would do. It was absolutely amazing. I was actually doing sober activities and enjoying it. My experience was great considering that I had to develop new tools and actually felt my feelings, both happy and uncomfortable.”
Many clients, like this one, find excursions with Hawaii Island Recovery to be a turning point in their confidence and happiness as they pursue a life of health and sobriety.
Addiction Treatment on the Big Island
Download the Rehabs Finder app today to save Hawaii Island Recovery to your favorites, compare it to other treatment centers around the world, and contact them directly from within the app.