Thailand has long been a favorite vacation spot for tourists from around the world. Stunning beaches, tropical rainforests, awe-inspiring waterfalls, and more all await the adventurer who comes to explore this beautiful nation.
Read on to learn about Koh Chang, an island off the coast of Thailand still largely untouched by tourism that still offers a wide variety of excursions and is also home to DARA Thailand, one of the top drug rehab centers in the world.
Overview of Koh Chang
Koh Chang is also known as Elephant Island due to the elephant shape of its headland. Like the animal it’s named after, this island is impressive in size. The only Thai island that’s larger is Phuket, a widely-known vacation spot often full of tourists. Koh Chang, on the other hand, has only started welcomings tourists visit in the past couple of decades, leaving it largely undeveloped. There’s plenty to explore throughout the island, as 70% of the land is covered in rainforests, mountains, and beaches.
There are three seasons on the island. The cool season, from November through February, is the busiest season—it can be a bit crowded, but the weather is ideal throughout these months. The hot season, which runs from March to April, features high humidity that can feel stifling to visitors. This doesn’t keep them away, however, as the Thai New Year, known as Songkran, is in mid-April. The rest of the year, from May through October, marks the rainy season. While the weather can cut into your time on the beach, the lower prices and smaller crowds can still make this season a wonderful time to explore Koh Chang.
Top 10 Things to Do in Koh Chang
No matter when you choose to visit Thailand, you’ll find plenty of activities to keep you busy in Koh Chang. Check out these top 10 things to do on the island:
10. Visit the Beaches - People travel great distances to enjoy the natural beauty of Thailand’s beaches. Because Koh Chang is less touristy than Phuket, it’s easy to swim or relax on the beach in peace.
9. Snorkel or Scuba in the Reefs - Koh Chang is home to a number of stunning coral reefs, making it a great place to explore the wonders of the underwater world up close on a snorkeling or scuba expedition.
8. Zip Through the Treetops - Feeling a bit adventurous? Explore the treetops of Koh Chang’s beautiful rainforests on a zip line tour, ropes course, or treetop excursion.
7. Take a Cooking Class - After a day full of adventure, there’s no better way to unwind than with a plate of delicious Thai food. Book a cooking class to learn how to create local cuisine, then enjoy the fruits of your labor.
6. Get Up Close and Personal with Elephants - Although elephants aren’t indigenous to Elephant Island, there are now elephants camps that allow you to ride these majestic animals.
5. Visit Temples - Thailand is as rich in culture as it is in natural resources. Spend some time exploring local temples to learn more about this land and its people.
4. Go Chasing Waterfalls - With so many mountains, rainforests, and beaches, it should come as no surprise that Koh Chang is home to many waterfalls. Whether you dive in the pool at the bottom or simply take in the view from dry land, these are sure to make an impression.
3. Relax in a Spa - Travel is fun, but it’s also exhausting. Take a break from the excursions to enjoy a relaxing day in the spa.
2. Explore the Jungles - Get out and stretch your legs on a jungle hike. Keep an eye out for all of the incredible wildlife that calls Koh Chang home!
1. Recover from Drug and Alcohol Addiction - This may come as a surprise, but Koh Chang is the perfect place to recover from addiction. Read on to learn more about one of the world’s leading rehab centers tucked away on this beautiful island.
Addiction Recovery in Koh Chang
Koh Chang is certainly an ideal place for a tropical vacation, but did you know that it’s also a premier destination for addiction recovery? DARA Thailand has welcomed guests from more than 50 countries who have begun a successful road to recovery in its luxurious facilities that, in many ways, feel more like a resort than a rehab center.
Residents can choose between three villa options, all surrounded by landscaped tropical gardens. Special features include an open air dining area, meditation center, spa, fully equipped gym, 25 meter pool, and more.
There’s more to this center than top of the line facilities and stunning views. The center also offers highly effective group therapy, led by licensed professionals and centered around Cognitive Behavioral Therapy (CBT).
Many are surprised to find that this is also an affordable option for recovery. The founders subsidize the program in order to keep the price of the all-inclusive, 4-week program to just US$6,995. Plus, DARA Thailand is an in-network provider for several leading insurance companies, including International SOS, Cigna, AXA, GeoBlue, and HTH Worldwide.
It would be a shame to visit Thailand and not explore this beautiful island, so residents at DARA Thailand enjoy weekly excursions, including beach days, jungle treks, hikes to waterfalls, treetop expeditions, temple tours, and more.
When it comes to addiction recovery, DARA Thailand truly has it all, quietly tucked away on one of the most beautiful islands in Thailand.
Learn More About DARA Thailand
Would you like to learn more about DARA Thailand for you or a loved one? Simply visit their website or save the Rehabs Finder listing as a favorite to compare it to other leading centers around the world.